Monday, July 23, 2007

Way to go....

Time has come when I realized that my sweetheart, my camera (s2 IS) isn't that great :P.... Aperture range is just F2.7 to F8... uf... ! Not good, but I want to utilize lot of things in this one before I upgrade to an SLR.

Topics (yet) to work on:

- Using Aperture, Shutter, both together (covered)

- Adjusting/ locking exposure: ISO (covered)

- Understanding how and when to use white-balance settings

- Using manual focus, focus lock & other details about focus (1st, 2nd curtains, etc.)

- Metering systems (types/ ways/ zone system)

- Lenses (types/ uses/ terms)

- How to achieve special effects while shooting (let camera see what we cannot see!)

- Understanding Histograms

- Using Photoshop

- Understanding RAW image format

Special scenes:

- Macro photography

- Landscapes/ flowers/ trees/ nature

- Portraits

- Indoor objects

- Reflections

- People and places

- Unique architectures

- Bright light photography

- Night photography

- Sports photography

- Food Photography

- Night sports photography (most difficult with my camera :( )

- Capturing TV screens

Well, I do not intend to master in all of above photography types…. But, well…. need to be decent in most of them. Most of the times when I take long time to adjust the camera, my husband teases me “what kind of a photographer you are” (Well, I’m not, yet! :P). Like yesterday, he was playing with his remote-controlled helicopter and asked me to take some good photographs. God… it was so difficult… time was around 7 in the evening, kinda dark. The tricky part was to capture helicopter motion (needs high shutter speed) in the dark (needs low F-number to compensate the high shutter speed). Now, my camera (which I loved till now!) does not support F-numbers lower than F2.7, so I had to use flash to provide light. Now the problem is flash coverage…. I had to go closer to the subject, rather I had to request my subject (hubby) to stay closer to second subject (helicopter).

Too bad, this spoils the whole fun of taking natural pictures…. I’m highly disappointed with my self… but keeping spirit, since I never loose hope… I believe, one day I’ll be able to capture someone playing with the helicopter… that day could be long enough and the one playing with remote could be my kid (:D).

1 comment:

Poonam said...

Hey Ams, I am disappointed.."Food" photography is no where on your list...SIGH! hehehe Interesting post, Ams! where did you take that picture on your home page? ...keep up the good work..